通过让自己的子女拥有或管理一家企业，将其转变为家族企业，这是一个企业家能做出的最深刻、最僵化的决定之一. Those we know who have faced that decision report sleepless nights and loss of focus.
Their worries are many:
- Will the kids be interested and capable?
- How will other employees react to their joining the business?
- If more than one joins the business, how do I pick the leader?
- Can I objectively evaluate my children s performance?
- What kind of working relationship will I have with my children?
- How do I handle their compensation?
Answers to such questions don’t come easily. The specifics of each situation vary: the number of children; their ages, personalities, skills and interests; the timing of their entry into the business.
We offer three principles that apply in all circumstances:
1. Don’t rush your children to make a commitment.
While you can decide not to involve your family in your business, 你的孩子们将最终决定这个企业在他们这一代是否会继续作为家族企业存在.
In most instances, m88体育不认为孩子们能够或应该在他们准备好之前就被迫做出这样的决定, and we discourage statements like, “We have a family business and it’s intended for you!”
而, 随着青少年步入成年，m88体育鼓励企业主发表类似这样的声明:“m88体育在这里有一笔伟大的生意. 只要你受过良好的教育，有工作经验，欢迎你加入. After you’re here a few years, if you decide you d like to make this business your career, m88体育可以讨论一下，m88体育是否想要把这种情况延续到下一代.”
有时情况表明，对于未来的领导和所有权连续性的问题，存在一个“正确”的答案——什么时候, for example, 一个孩子显然适合领导，而你确信其他孩子不适合.
如果答案明确，就鼓励孩子们参与自己的未来。. This process is one of thoughtful delegation, not casual abdication. It works something like this:
When the children reach their late teens, initiate a series of family meetings that can continue over months or years. At the outset, 描述情况，并表明尽早分享结论对企业和家庭都有好处. 然后，每个人都可以在自己的期望中安定下来，避免多年的情感模糊和对重要职业决策的怀疑. 面对孩子们的失望是痛苦的，但拖延会带来更大的问题.
当解决方案不那么明确时，m88体育鼓励父母寻求要面对的决定. 从你的孩子那里了解他们参与的意愿，以及他们对如何进行的想法. Suggest that, 作为一个群体, they develop a vision of the future, identifying important questions and studying various alternatives. Usually the first question that should be answered is whom to include in the process. 这些例子包括子女的配偶、活跃在企业中的子女以及不活跃的股东. Consider seeking guidance from others such as key non-family managers.
After the children have identified questions and examined options or scenarios, ask them to report on their thinking to you. 你也可以与有价值的专业顾问或外部董事分享年轻人的观点，听取他们的意见.
Respond to your children’s ideas with guidance and feedback. Offer thoughts on other questions to be considered or alternatives to be explored.
下一代人应该提出他们对未来的设想，作为世代过渡的基础. 这一过程成功的最大障碍是父母做出决定或严重影响决定的自然本能, especially those affecting the family or the business they built. 父母需要努力培养对孩子体贴的信心，培养他们团队合作的能力.
What to ask:
- How do we prepare for ownership and what are the responsibilities?
- What will we do if taking over the business doesn’t work?
- What family and personal risks should we consider?
- 继续参与m88体育的业务是合适的，也会让m88体育的父母高兴? What are their financial security needs?
- What are the requirements of good business leadership?
- How will we make decisions as a family team in the next generation?
- What do we have to do to be a strong family in the future, regardless of the business?